Looking for an easy appetizer recipe? Look no further! My monster mozzarella sticks will hit the spot and quickly become your go to comfort food. They’re easy to make and fun to eat.. but I warn you… they’re HUGE! Check out the photo at the bottom of the post, for a size comparison! Here’s how they’re made:
1 pack mozzarella string cheese
Panko bread crumbs
1. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan or deep fryer, to 350 degree’s.
2. While the oil is heating, pour panko into a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, crack open an egg and give it a quick scramble.
4. Open the mozzarella cheese (only one at a time) and dip it in the egg. Be sure to get it completely coated. Once coated, gently shake of the excess and place into the Panko.
5. Firmly press the panko bread crumbs, into the cheese. Coat all areas as much a possible and place it to the side.
6. Repeat the above steps until all of the mozzarella is coated in panko.
7. One by one, redip the mozzarella cheese into the egg and back into the pancko. Again, press the panko into the cheese. You’re going to do this to all of the mozzarella cheese.
8. Repeat those steps one final time. That will leave you with them all being coated 3 times. Let them sit for 5 minutes, before frying. This allows the panko to really adhere.
9. Fry them in the oil, a few at a time. We have a small deep fryer so we can only fit 2 at a time (yes, they’re that big).
10. Stand over the mozzarella sticks as they’re cooking. They don’t take long at all and can burn very fast. Allow them to get a nice golden brown color. Once they start to crack open ever so slightly, they’re done!
11. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tip: If you’re having a party or gathering, consider refrigerating these for about 15 minute, and then slicing them in 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices. Insert toothpicks and voila, bite sized! These hold REALLY well and don’t get soggy – even after being refrigerated.