Today’s Halloween recipe may sound gross but it’s incredibly delicious (and filling)! This is a great main course meal that will really get people talking. They won’t know weather to to cringe or chow down. I can guarantee though, after one bite, they’ll all be hooked!
Please note that this recipe will feed a dozen people as it’s a great party food. Feel free to reduce it down to fit your needs. All you need to do is decrease the amount of ground beef and peppers. You want 1 pepper per person and 1 extra to put in the mixture (as seen in the directions).
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 13 green peppers
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1 onion
- 5 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- butter or margarine
- bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- brain mold (optional but VERY handy)
1. Cut the tops off of 12 of the peppers and remove the insides.
2. Place them in a baking dish and add water to the bottom of the dish. All you need is enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover the peppers with foil and place them into the oven (350 degree’s) for 20 min.
3. Dice up the garlic clove and place it into a skillet with a generous portion of butter (or margarine). Allow the garlic to brown while stirring occasionally.
4. Dice up the extra pepper and the onion. Toss them in with the browned garlic and saute until tender. Once cooked, set the mixture aside. Don’t wash the skillet as you’ll be using this later.
5. In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the orzo pasta and cook thoroughly. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
6. While the orzo is cooking, place the ground beef into a large bowl and add the egg, bread crumbs and ketchup. Mix it well. If the mixture seems to wet/slimy, add more breadcrumbs to soak up the wetness.
7. Form 12 brains out of the meat mixture. To cut down on time, you can use this brain mold. I did mine by hand and it not only took additional time but they’re not as defined as i’d like them to be. You can do it either way though. Note: If you have extra meat left over, cook it in the skillet and add it to the pepper and onion mixture.
8. Place the brains on a baking sheet and cook them for 25 minutes.
9. Combine the orzo and onion/pepper mixture. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, 4 cups spaghetti sauce (reserve 1 cup for garnishing), cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper. Mix until the cheeses are completely melted.
10. Spoon the mixture into all of the peppers. Don’t worry about being perfect. You want some of it to pour out so it looks like maggots crawling.
11. Spoon left over spaghetti sauce onto a serving dish and place the stuffed peppers on top. Add a little sauce to the top of each stuffed pepper and place 1 brain on each. This helps it stay in place. In addition, you can rub a little on top of each brain too, to give it that wet look.